Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Traditions

We have been starting to make Christmas Traditions in our family over the past few years.  We seem to add to it as the kids get bigger.  Some of our traditions stem from our own families growing up.   I think it is exciting to look forward to doing these at Christmas time.

1.  A gift exchange Christmas Eve between siblings.  We did this in my family. Every Christmas Eve we would read the story of Mary and Joseph and watch a cartoon about the Samuel the Lamanite and one on the birth of Jesus.  We would exchange our gifts at the end.  We were always excited to be able to open a present on Christmas Eve.

2. I found some nativity cookie cutters so we make sugar cookies on Christmas Eve.

3. Last year I bought Ashlyn a gingerbread house kit.  (Worth it not to have to make all the gingerbread and it comes with frosting and candy.)  She had a lot of fun with it.  We still have to do the one I got her this year.

4.  Our local store has a gift tree that has tags you can take off the tree with a child and their age and what they would like for Christmas.  This year we let Ashlyn earn some money so she could buy a present for another little girl.  I was able to find a tag for a 4 year old girl just like her.  She helped her dad stack firewood and did a few other chores to earn the money.  We thought maybe it might mean more if it was her money buying the gift.  I am sure it will as she gets older.  She was excited to earn the money and pick out a gift. 

5.  I make up goodie trays for a few of our neighbors and Kelly's co-workers.

6.  Photo Christmas Cards - We didn't start this until we had kids.:)

7.  My mom likes to collect Christmas books, so this year we decided that we were going to start our own collection too and buy a new one each year.

8.  We decided a couple of years ago that we would splurge on Christmas dinner, so we have prime rib for Christmas.

9.  We can't forget Christmas Music. I listen to it all day.  Last year we listened to a lot of the chipmunks.  Ashlyn loved them.  This year all she wants to listen to are the Primary Christmas songs.  She almost has all of them down. 


I am grateful for the time of year that we can focus more closely on the Savior and make fun memories with our families.

3 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I love the number 4 tradition. We used to do that in Green River, and one Christmas in Texas. It is a great feeling to give to someone else. It's fun to see all your traditions. Looks like you are off to a great start with your kids.

Kami said...

I love your list of ideas! We have a lot of our own traditions, but it is always nice to hear about others traditions and even borrow some! Thank you for your neat ideas! You guys have a very special family. Love, The Russells

Brenny said...

Those are some great traditions. I love that you had Ashlyn earn money and buy a gift for another little girl. She'll totally remember how great she felt when she did it. Love it!