Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving Blessing Mix

I got this as a gift from visiting teachers several years ago.  It is called a Blessing Mix and contains the following:

Bugles - Represents the Horn of Plenty

Pretzels - Represents arms folded in thanks and prayer

Candy Corn - During the winter the Pilgrims were each allotted only 5 kernels of corn per day because food was so scarce

Dried or Candy Fruits - Thanksgiving is the celebration of the harvest

Peanuts or Sunflower Seeds - Represents the potential of a bounteous harvest for the next season if they are planted and well tended

Goldfish Crackers - Represents the teaching by the Native Americans to the Pilgrims that a fish planted with seeds would help grow healthy crops

I usually make a printout of this and tie it with a ribbon to the bag of the mix. 
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

2 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I just got this off of theideadoor.com
I was going to give it to the girl I go VT to. Cute idea.

Brenny said...

That is a great poem and a fun idea to share during Thanksgiving.